Pages

Welcome!

I'm so glad you've stopped by! In June 2010 I left a great job to be a stay-at-home momma to my three sweeties. Join me as I explore the joys and sorrows of leaving work, staying home with the little people who matter most, as well as the trials of living on one income, marriage, life, and living by faith. I'm learning so much about myself, my husband, and my kids by writing here and I hope to continue learning to sing praises to the One who gave me this blessed life!

Friday, June 11, 2010

I really hope someone can start on Monday . . .

Interviewing potential job candidates can be as uncomfortable as being interviewed, I've found. It's not the same kind of stress to be sure: but there's an element of discomfort in a job interview.

It's sort of cruel, when you think about it. Almost agonizing.

You first write out your life story (okay, work history, but it ends up feeling like your life story), then you send it in to some faceless organization. They analyze the 'you on paper' that you send in; if they like 'you on paper' then they want to meet 'you in person.' Only, you're not really 'you'--you're 'interviewee you.' So you dress up, put on your best behavior and smile, bring extra copies of 'you on paper' and try to impress--or at least, not disappoint--the person conducting the interview. Sometimes extra people are brought in to pick your brain; sometimes you're outnumbered! People ask you weird questions about apples, and Star Trek, and whether you've ordered office supplies or not. They want to know what your career goals are--whether or not you've got any at that moment--and why you want their job. Within an hour--sometimes within a few minutes, if you've presented yourself really well or really poorly--they'll know if they want to make a long-term commitment to you. And you'll know what you think of them. At least, you *think* you'll know what you think of them.

And as soon as you leave, you *know* people are talking about you. Part of you wants to know what they said, what they thought, will I get this job? The other part of you is just glad that the thumbscrews have been loosed and you're set free to be 'you' again. Torture!!

I don't know that I want to work in HR again. I think HR people (well, those who enjoy the hiring/firing process, anyhow) have some sort of sadist mentality, like they enjoy inflicting the torture on the people under their power. I do not partake in that pleasure. I'm far too uncomfortable for the poor interviewee!!

~

I REALLY hope they found a good replacement. All these interviews . . . it's emotionally draining for me. As if I wasn't emotional enough, at 20 weeks pregnant, I have to sit there and ask these poor people to give more information, sometimes asking questions just to see what they would say. Ugh. No wonder I'm so tired.

~

Lord, please bless these people in their job searches! I'm proud of them that they showed up!! I know that you will provide for all your children, and I ask that you pour out an extra measure of peace and assurance on all our candidates. Help them find jobs, or at least a sense of satisfaction that they put forth a worthy effort. AMEN!! Now will you PLEASE help them select the right candidate?

No comments: